If Wishes Were Horses.
This morning, even before I opened my eyes, I had a line from a song I listened to yesterday running through my head. The line was “If wishes were horses, I’d have a ranch” and it was off of Lucinda Williams’ “Little Honey” album. The song is about how she wishes she had not hurt someone and desperately wants another chance, however all I could remember was that one line. Laying in bed I went from being annoyed at the earbug, to contemplating the beauty of the line, and finally to thinking about what I wish for. Omitting the obvious “health, wealth, and happiness for my family” type of wishes, here are some of the things that came to mind for my wish list.
- Someday, not too far in the future, I hope that Amy and I can slow down our lives and settle in California wine country.
- I wish I had a huge, modern kitchen. Preferably with lots of stainless steel and stone, accented by a lot of clean, warm wood.
- It sure would be nice if someone would start a new network that had real cooking shows like the Food Network once featured. Sandra Lee for Mario was like trading Peyton Manning for Dan Orlovsky.
- I wish that all of the wonderful fish markets that Hurricane Ike destroyed under the bridge in Kemah would magically come back.
- The same for the wine and food scene that was growing in Galveston. It amazes me that hurricane season is back and we still are not back to normal from the last one.
- I wish I could finish the redesign of this site one day soon. I am close, but just not satisfied.
- There are so many wonderful wines that I have not yet tasted, I wish for a glass of each.
- I wish gravy caused weight loss and promoted cardiovascular health.
- Wouldn’t it be great if wine snobs were as hilarious to the masses as they are to experienced winos? There is nothing exclusive about enjoying fermented grape juice that miraculously makes food taste better, and the snobs among us should be laughed at.
- Sometimes I wish that wine did not produce a buzz of any sort so that I could drink it all day and all night with no ill effects.
- I wish that I could visit all of the best restaurants in the world before I die. Barring that, I will have to visit Lockhart, TX a few more times.
- I wish that I were confident and competent enough to sharpen my own knives.
- I wish I could sit down and have dinner at a table with Julia Child, Hunter S. Thompson, Frank Zappa, James Beard, Warren Zevon, Kingsley Amis, Kurt Vonnegut, Joe Strummer and Minnie Pearl. Imagine that conversation.
- It sure would be nice if almost all of my heroes weren’t dead people.
- I wish I had my old metabolism back.
- I wish I could cook for my dad one more time.
In addition, I wish this was an actual video of this song, but here is Lucinda Williams singing “If Wishes Were Horses.” Enjoy!